Game 1: Trevecca Nazarene 3, Saginaw Valley 2 (8 Innings)
Game 2: Saginaw Valley 10, Quincy 2 (6 Innings)
Legends Way Ballfields - Clermont, Fla.
CLERMONT, Fla. - The SVSU softball team posted a split on the second day of competition at THE Spring Games on Tuesday (Mar. 7) afternoon. The Cardinals fell in extra-innings to Trevecca Nazarene by a final score of 3-2 before notching a mercy victory over Quincy in a game that went final after six innings, 10-2.
SVSU only mustered three hits in the opener against the Trojans, two coming from sophomore Madison Burgess and another from fellow sophomore Danielle Hamilton. The pair knocked-in the only two runs for the Cardinals as well.
Trevecca got on the board first in the bottom of the first inning when a double steal allowed Ansley Brantley to cross the plalte for the 1-0 lelad.
Burgess responded for SV in the top of the third, knotting the score at 1-1 with an RBI single to left that plated pinch-runner and senior Claire Coopes-Meske, who ran for Bethaney Murphey (walk) and continued on to steal both second and third.
The Trojans go the lead back in their half of the fourth, adding an unearned run on an RBI single to make the score 2-1.
An RBI infield single from Hamilton scored redshirt freshman Lauren Bachert from third to make the score 2-2 in the top of the fifth. Bachert reached on a fielder's choice, stole second and moved to third on Burgess's second hit of the game.
The game remained in a stalemate through seven innings and Bachert was placed on second to begin the eighth frame with the international tiebreaker rule in effect. She was moved to third on a sac bunt from Burgess. Nothing would come of the opportunity, however, and the Trojans would get their chance.
Pinch-runner Savannah Carr was placed on second for Trevecca and moved to third on a sac bunt as well. A squeeze play ensued for the Trojans, as a play couldn't be made on a well-placed bunt and Carr crossed the plate for the game-winning run and made the final score 3-2.
Inisde the Boxscore
- Burgess was 2-for-2 with an RBI, walk and a steal.
- Hamilton had an RBI single.
- Murphey walked twice for SVSU.
- Coopes-Meske and Bachert scored SV's lone two runs, adding two steals and one steal, respectively.
- Sarah Appold pitched 7.1 innings in the circle, allowing three runs (1 earned) while walking five and notching nine strikeouts.
SVSU ran out to a 4-0 lead in the second game against the Hawks, using a grand slam from sophomore Meredith Rousse to spark the offense in the bottom of the third inning. She scored Hamilton, senior Shelby Weeks and sophomore Evy Lobdell on the round-tripper.
Quincy got a pair of runs right back in the top of the fourth on a two-run home run from Samantha Ledbetter, making the score 4-2.
The Cards quickly accounted for those two runs, however, as Hamilton posted an RBI single in the bottom of the fourth to score Burgess and Lobdell ripped an RBI double to push Hamilton across after she stole second. That made the score 6-2 in SVSU's favor.
Saginaw Valley would add four more runs in the bottom half of the sixth inning, ending the game an inning early with a 10-2 final score. Coopes-Meske, Bachert, Hamilton and Weeks all scored in the final inning for the Cardinals.
Inside the Boxscore
- Rousse was 3-for-3 in the game with the home run and four RBIs, adding a walk. She had two steals in the game as well.
- Hamilton was 2-for-3 with an RBI and three runs, along with a steal.
- Lobdell had two hits in four plate appearances, scoring a run and driving-in another.
- Senior Sarah Vrabel was 2-for-3 at the plate with a walk.
- Weeks and Burgess added single hits for SV, with Weeks adding an RBI and run and Burgess a run scored. Both players stole a base in the nightcap as well.
- Vrabel worked all six innings pitching, striking-out four batters while allowing two runs and four hits.
The Cardinals play a pair of games Tuesday (Mar. 8) morning, as SVSU faces Minnesota-Duluth at 9:00 a.m. before playing Southern Indiana at 1:00 p.m. Both games will be played at Hancock Park in Clermont.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusball
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---