UNIVERSITY CENTER -- Hosting the GLIAC-leading Parkside Rangers on Sunday (Oct. 27) afternoon at Braddock Field, the SVSU Men's Soccer team founds its stride on Senior Day and defeated the Rangers by a 4-1 score.
SVSU carried a 2-1 lead into the halftime break and added two more goals in the second half, cruising to the 4-1 victory.
The first goal of the match came with Alex Gloshen knocked-in a corner kick in the 14th minute to give the home squad a 1-0 edge. The second score came when Kairo Coore ran past the defense, beating the goalkeeper in the 37th minute to push that lead to 2-0.
Parkside cut the lead in half with less than five minute remaining in the first half, using a Jack Krenzien goal in the 41st minute to make the count 2-1.
Gloshen tacked-on his second goal of the match in the 56th off a feed from Coore and Brady Walker scored for the Cards in the 68th to put the contest at 4-1, which is where it would remain as time expired.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU had a 21-17 overall edge in shots while Parkside had 10 corners to SVSU's three.
- Mason Maziasz moved to 8-3-1 overall on the season in net, making four saves and allowing one goal in the victory.
- Gloshen now has six goals on the season after his two tallies in the match.
- Coore has four goals and three helpers and Walker notched his fourth goal.
- Seniors Gustavo Bergmann and Wladimir Babaew held down solid defense in the contest while fellow senior Connor Rutz had three shots in the match, putting two on-goal.
From Head Coach Louis Barrow
"Today was fantastic and was a true testament to our seniors! The score reflected our performance and it shows what we're capable of. It makes results like Friday hurt even more when we understand our potential through games like today. But I could not fault the work rate, grit and attitude from our lads today. It was a great send-off for our seniors, who we are so proud of!"
SVSU has now wrapped-up the home portion of its 2019 regular season and will be on the road for the final three matches. That stretch begins on Friday (Nov. 1) at Purdue Northwest before the team travels to play at Upper Iowa.