CALEDONIA -- The Cardinal Men's Soccer team dropped a GLIAC match at Davenport on Sunday (Oct. 20) afternoon by a 3-2 final score.
SVSU got on the board within the first minute of play, as Kairo Coore found the back of the net 48 seconds into the match off a throw-in to give the Cards a 1-0 edge.
The second Cardinal goal came in the 32nd minute, with Robbie Bruce scoring to give the visitors a 2-0 lead.
The Panthers trimmed the SV lead in half in the 39th minute as Miguel Flores scored to make the count 2-1, which is where it remained headed to the half.
Early on in the second half, Davenport got a penalty kick goal in the 48th minute by Daire O'Riordan and tied the contest at 2-2.
That score held true all the way until the 88th minute of the contest, as Saginaw Valley held strong playing a couple of men down after red cards to players.
Davenport, however, was able to score once more at the 87:06 marker and take a 3-2 edge over the Cardinals.
That is where the final score remained, with the Panthers sealing the victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Coore now has three goals on the season for the Cardinals.
- Bruce's goal was first of the season for SVSU.
- Mason Maziasz (7-2-1) was tough in goal, making nine saves on 12 shots on goal, as the Panthers took advantage of the extra players.
- Davenport out-shot SVSU by a 22-5 margin and had 12 shots on-goal compared to three for SVSU.
- The Panthers had 15 corner kicks compared to one for the Cards as well.
The Cardinals return home to Braddock Field this weekend for another pair of GLIAC contests. SVSU hosts Northern Michigan on Friday (Oct. 25) at 3:00 p.m. before facing Parkside on Sunday in another 3:00 p.m. matchup.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---