MARQUETTE -- Competing at Northern Michigan University in the second leg of a weekend away trip, the SVSU Men's Soccer squad secured its fourth shutout of the season and claimed a 1-0 victory over the Wildcats on Sunday (Oct. 6) afternoon.
With the win, SVSU moves to 6-3-1 overall on the season and 4-2-0 in the GLIAC while the Wildcats fall to 3-7-0 overall and 2-4-0 in league play.
The opening half went scoreless and both teams had six shots through the first 45 minutes of action.
The Cards got on the board for the game's lone goal at the 53:15 marker, as Alex Gloshen found the back of the net for the 1-0 lead.
Saginaw Valley's defense held strong from there, managing to hold NMU to just one second half shot compared to its six, sealing the shutout victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Gloshen's goal is his third of the season, which ranks him second on the team.
- The Cardinals out-shot the Wildcats by a 12-7 overall mark in the match.
- NMU had three corner kicks while SVSU had a pair.
- Damon Favero (1-2-0) picked up his second career win and first of the season after making four saves on as many shots on goal.
- Kairo Coore had four shots with two on goal while Gloshen and Robbie Bruce each had a pair of shots with one on net.
From Head Coach Louis Barrow...
"Fantastic win today in windy conditions. The lads came together today after our loss on Friday and set the record straight. We showed a lot of grit and determination today and everyone worked really, really hard. Gaye Diadie, Robbie Bruce and Robbie Baker were outstanding. Now to prep for Northwood."
The Cardinals host Northwood University on Friday (Oct. 11) in their only match of the upcoming weekend. First kick will be 4:00 p.m. at SVSU's Braddock Field.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---