UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Soccer team bounced back from a 0-0 draw with Tiffin on Friday with a solid 3-0 shutout over Alderson Broaddus on Sunday at SVSU's Braddock Field. Saginaw Valley took a 1-0 edge into the half and added two more in the final 45 minutes to claim the three-goal win.
After the halftime session, Connor Rutz received the ball deep in Battler territory, dodged defenders and stuffed it in the net for the 2-0 lead at the 64' point.
The match's final goal came when Gustavo Bergmann headed-in a rebound off his own shot at the 67' marker, pushing the Cardinal lead to the final count of 3-0
Inside the Boxscore
- The shutout is the third for Saginaw Valley in just four matches this season.
- Mason Maziasz (2-0-1) got the win between the posts, saving four shots on goal.
- The Cards out-shot Alderson Broaddus 18-9, with nine shots going on net compared to four for the visitors.
- The Battlers had a slight edge in corner kicks, 6-5.
- Rutz and Walker each have a team-best two goals on the season while Bergmann notched his first score in a Cardinal uniform.
- Bruce's helper was his first point at SVSU as well.
Postgame Interview - Louis Barrow
Saginaw Valley has two more home matches coming up this weekend. The Cards host Davenport on Friday (Sep. 20) at 3:00 p.m. before facing Ashland on Sunday in another 3:00 p.m. matchup.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---