UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Soccer team remained atop the GLIAC standings after posting its second straight victory and second of the week, defeating the Davenport University Panthers by a 2-0 count on Friday (Oct. 5) afternoon at Braddock Field.
Saginaw Valley runs its current unbeaten streak to six matches and improves its overall record to 7-1-3 and 5-1-1 in league play. Davenport falls to 3-8-1 overall and 2-5-0 in the GLIAC.
After the teams came out of the halftime break, the 60' mark saw Gloshen set up another teammate with a solid opportunity, as he found Brady Walker who flipped the ball over the keeper's head for the 2-0 edge.
That 2-0 score became the final after the SV defense held the Panthers out of the net for the remainder of the contest as well.
Inside the Boxscore
- The clean sheet for the Cardinals represents the team's sixth of the season.
- Gloshen now has five assists on the season, leading the team and ranking second in the GLIAC.
- Hamilton has three goals on the 2018 campaign while Walker recorded his second of the season.
- Betz (6-1-2) recorded his fourth shutout in net. That figure leads the GLIAC, as does the team's 0.41 goals-against-average. He stopped all five shots on-goal in the match.
- The Cardinals had a slight 18-15 edge in overall shots and 7-5 advantage in shots on-goal.
- The victory was the 50th for head coach Andy Wagstaff in his career at SVSU.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff...
"Magnificent performance from the entire squad today. We needed some extra help from our bench and a lot of young players stepped up and played like warriors. I could not be more proud of the group but we have to quickly recover and go up against a tough PNW team this Sunday and honor our great seniors."
SVSU hosts Purdue Northwest in the final home regular season date of the 2018 campaign. First kick is slated for 2:30 p.m. at Braddock Field. The Cardinals defeated the Pride 2-1 on September 21 in Hammond, Indiana.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @svsuatheltics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---