PHILIPPI, W.Va. -- The Cardinal Men's Soccer team rounded-out its opening weekend road trip with a 2-1 double overtime victory over Alderson Broaddus on Saturday afternoon. After taking an early 1-0 lead, Saginaw Valley worked hard after the Battlers knotted the match at 1-1 and secured the win with a Liam Travers game-winner after playing a man down since the 25' marker of the first half.
At the 25' marker, the Cardinals went down a man after a red card and Alderson Broaddus promptly tied the match at 1-1 after a free kick.
The teams held strong throughout regulation and even the first overtime, carrying the same 1-1 count into double overtime.
Just 41 seconds into the second overtime session, Liam Travers connected on the game-winning score to give the Cardinals the 2-1 regional victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hamilton's goal was his first of the season and the team's as well.
- Liadi's helper was his first of the 2018 campaign.
- Travers netted his first career score in a Cardinal uniform.
- SVSU out-shot the Battlers by a 17-7 count, putting six on goal compared to Alderson Broaddus's two.
- Damon Favero got the win between the posts, working a scoreless 89:05 of time after Lukas Betz left with a red card just under 26 minutes into the contest.
- The match was a chippy contest with 11 yellow cards and a red.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff...
"Tonight goes down as one of the most unique games I have been involved with at SVSU. We started strong and scored, but could have bagged a few to put the game out of reach. After an hour lightning delay, ABU put us under pressure immediately and with our GK being sent off gave us a huge issue. They scored on the ensuing kick and we knew we were in for a long night playing with 10 men only 20 minutes into the game. We managed to remain focused and kept playing our game, scoring an OT goal to win an epic battle. We showed incredible passion, fight and belief to get the win against a strong ABU team. The adversity that we faced tonight will put us in great shape for the season, but now we need to prepare for next week's two massive games against Lewis and Tiffin."
Saginaw Valley returns to the pitch on Friday (Sep. 7), facing Lewis University in a regional matchup at Davenport University. First kick will be 5:00 pm in Grand Rapids.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @svsuathletics
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---