ASHLAND — The SVSU Men's Soccer team now sits in sole possession of the GLIAC lead after posting a 4-0 victory on the road at Ashland on Sunday (Oct. 22) afternoon. The Cardinals took a 2-0 lead into halftime and added another pair of goals in the second half, cruising to the four goal win.
Jacovou scored the team's final goal to put the count at 4-0, using a feed from Jahmall Whittaker at the 87' mark for the goal.
Inside the Boxscore
- Saginaw Valley fired 16 shots in the match and held the Eagles to just three.
- Nine of SV's shots were on goal while Ashland had just one.
- The shutout was the seventh of the season for the defensive unit.
- Connor Keane stopped the only shot on goal he faced, moving to 12-2-1 overall on the season.
- Rutz leads the team now with seven goals.
- Wilson has three goals now for the 2017 campaign.
- Jacovou now has three goals and three helpers.
- Liadi's goal was his second of the season.
- Parks had his first career two-assist game for SV.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff
"Very proud of the mentality of our team approaching such a pivotal weekend. Away at Davenport then at Ashland must be one of the hardest away weekends of the year. To go away and get six goals and concede none shows the togetherness and drive that this group has."
The Cardinals host Northwood University on Friday (Oct. 27) in what will serve as a meeting for the GLIAC Championship. Saginaw Valley claims the outright league title with a win or a tie against the Timberwolves. First kick will be at 2:30 p.m. at SV's Braddock Field.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
— www.svsucardinals.com —