UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Men's Soccer team, ranked No. 19 nationallly, hosted Tiffin University on Sunday afternoon in GLIAC action at Braddock Field. In what was a classic match between the two teams, the Cardinals dug-out of an early deficit and scored three second half goals to claim a late 3-2 win over the Dragons.
Tiffin didn't take long to get on the board, scoring just 1:15 into the contest to take a 1-0 edge. It added another goal at the 19' mark to make the count 2-0. The visitors would take that lead into the half despite SV holding a 16-7 edge in shots, as the Dragon goalkeeper Cary Wilson made six first half saves.
With the match seemingly headed for an extra session, the Cardinals were able to make the most of an opportunity when Wilson played a ball towards the right side of the net. After the ball bounced towards Hanger, he fired a shot towards the front, where it deflected off a Tiffin defender and leaked into the goal for the 3-2 SVSU lead with under a minute remaining.
That score held true, as the Cards held on for the victory in what was a stellar comeback effort.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Cardinals posted a 27-13 overall edge in shots, putting 12 on goal compared to Tiffin's two on their two goals.
- Wilson's goal was his second of the season. His assist on the game-winner was his team-leading fifth helper.
- Hamilton now has five goals on the 2017 campaign, which ranks second on the team.
- Hanger now has two goals after the game-winner and four assists. Both are career-highs for the sophomore.
- Rutz's assist on Wilson's goal was his first. He leads the team with 13 points.
- SVSU held a 7-3 overall edge in corner kicks.
- The Dragons' Cary Wilson made nine saves in the contest.
- Saginaw Valley is now tied atop the league standings after Northwood's loss at Davenport.
The Cardinals hit the road for a pair of league matchups, beginning with a Friday (Oct. 20) with a night matchup at Davenport in a 7:00 p.m. match. The Cardinals defeated the Panthers earlier this season by a score of 1-0 on October 1.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---