UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Men's Soccer team hosted Ashland University on Friday (Sep. 29) afternoon in a GLIAC matchup at SVSU's Braddock Field. In a match where the score remained close throughout, the Cardinal defense was able to stay strong, not allowing a single shot on goal throughout the contest in sealing a 1-0 shutout victory over the Eagles.
Saginaw Valley found the back of the net at the 14' mark of the contest to take the 1-0 lead. Pablo Ortiz found Michael Shaikly in the middle in front of the box and Shaikly tipped the ball up to himself, turned and fired it past the Eagle goalkeeper for the lead.
It would be the only goal of the opening period, with SV rattling-off 10 shots compared to just one for Ashland. One of the two shots on net for SVSU in the opening 45 minutes was Shaikly's score.
The second half would feature much more Cardinal offense in the front half of the field, with SVSU getting 13 more shots and allowing just four.
Both defenses wouldn't allow another goal the rest of the way, with the Cards not allowing anything on net and the Ashland keeper making six saves. That allowed SVSU to close-out for its third shutout of the 2017 campaign.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU posted a 23-5 edge in shots overall and 8-0 margin in shots on goal.
- The Cardinals had 11 corner kicks as well in comparison to five for the Eagles.
- Shaikly's goal gives him a team-high five on the season. That ranks him second in the GLIAC.
- Shaikly and Connor Rutz each had five shots with two on net.
- Oakley Hanger added three shots with one on goal.
- Ortiz's helper gives him his first point of the season in the victory.
- Connor Keane (6-1-1) got the win in net as the defense was stellar in not allowing a shot on goal, helping secure the clean sheet.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff
Saginaw Valley hosts Davenport University on Sunday (Oct. 1) afternoon in a matchup between top teams in the league. The Panthers (5-2-1, 2-1-1 GLIAC) are coming off a bye on Friday. First kick is slated for 2:30 p.m. at Braddock Field.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---