NORTH CANTON, Ohio. - The Cardinal men's soccer team wrapped-up its weekend road trip with a Sunday (Sep. 25) afternoon match at Walsh University. Saginaw Valley got on the board early and held on for a one-goal shutout victory over the Cavaliers.
That would be the only score in the opening 45 minutes of play. Walsh got four shots off in the first period while SVSU had three. The Cardinals' only shot on goal went in and goalkeeper Connor Keane stopped both of the Cavalier shots on net.
The goal by Wilson would prove to be the only goal of the match, as the Cardinals closed-out for the shutout victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- The shutout over the Cavaliers was the second of the season for the Cardinals.
- Wilson's goal is his league-leading seventh of the season. His 18 points and four assists also lead the GLIAC. He now has three game-winners on the year.
- Kalk's assist was his second of the 2016 campaign.
- Connor Keane improved to 6-2 overall on the season after posting his second shutout. He recorded four saves in his 90 minutes.
- SVSU had 11 shots overall compared to seven for Walsh.
- In the corner kicks category, the Cardinals posted an 11-2 edge.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff
"We knew coming into the match that we were going up against a much-improved Walsh team, which got a great result on Friday against nationally-ranked Northwood. We knew their field was difficult to play on and, after our tough match on Friday, knew we were in for a battle. We got exactly that and, thankfully, Matt Wilson scored on an intelligent flick from Jordan Kalk. I am really happy to come away with six points this weekend. Sometimes the sign of a team with good character and quality is winning close games when not particularly playing well. Now it's time to recover and turn around to play Tiffin on Wednesday, which always proves to be a headliner game in the GLIAC each and every year."
The Cardinals return home to Braddock Field on Wednesday (Sep. 28), as SV hosts league-leading Tiffin University in a 3:30 p.m. match. The Dragons dropped a 2-1 home match to Northern Michigan in their last match on Friday (Sep. 23).