UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – For the second time in five days, and for the third time this season, the Saginaw Valley State University men's basketball team defeated Grand Valley State University, this time in the quarterfinals of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Postseason Tournament Wednesday at the James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
The Cardinals (19-10) pulled away in the second half, led by seniors Darnell Hoskins Jr. and Delano Smith, who play their last game at home for SVSU. The No. 4 seed Cardinals topped the No. 5 seed Lakers 70-58 to advance to the GLIAC Tournament Semifinals for a second consecutive season. The third win over the Lakers marks the first time SVSU has defeated GVSU three times in one season in program history.
How it Happened:
- The teams traded buckets early before a 7-0 run gave the Lakers a 15-10 advantage seven minutes in.
- GVSU remained in front the rest of the first half but was unable to pull away.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. hit a layup for SVSU with 11 seconds remaining to cut the Laker lead to 30-29 at the break.
- Tied at 36-36 with under 15 minutes to play, SVSU went on a 15-1 run to pull away, including 10 points from Hoskins Jr. and a fast break dunk from Delano Smith.
- SVSU remained in front by double-digits the rest of the way, never letting GVSU make a run.
Inside the Box Score:
- Hoskins Jr. led the Cardinals with 22 points, including four 3-pointers.
- Smith added 19 points and six rebounds.
- The Cardinals shot 25-of-56 from the field, 11-of-23 from deep, and 9-of-11 at the line. SVSU narrowly won the rebounding battle 33-32.
- Jake Van Tubbergen led the Lakers with 16 points and nine rebounds.
The No. 4 seed Cardinals will take on No. 8 seed Davenport University in the GLIAC Semifinals on Saturday at host site Michigan Tech in Houghton, Mich. The Panthers advanced with an upset win over Ferris State University on Wednesday. Davenport won both prior meetings with SVSU this season.
Postgame Interview with Head Coach Randy Baruth below: