UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University men's basketball team pulled away late for a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference victory over Lake Superior State University Saturday at the James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
After a 12-2 run for LSSU midway through the second half to put the Lakers in front, Darnell Hoskins Jr. answered with a pair of deep 3-pointers to put the Cardinals back in front for good. SVSU held on for the 79-67 win to move to 13-7 overall and 7-5 in the GLIAC.
How it Happened:
- The Lakers took an 18-13 lead after CJ Robinson hit a 3-pointer with 7:29 to play in the first half.
- Tre Garrett gave the Cardinals their biggest lead of the game to that point with a 3-pointer to make it 29-24 in favor of SVSU with 1:28 to play in the first half.
- Up one with 0.5 seconds on the clock, Delano Smith hit a catch-and-shoot jumper to give the Cardinals a 32-29 advantage at the break.
- SVSU establish a nine-point lead with 13:36 to play, but the Lakers answered with a 12-2 run to take a brief 48-47 lead.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. hit from deep on back-to-back possessions and the Cardinals did not trail the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score:
- Delano Smith led the Cardinals with 26 points on 11-of-20 shooting. He added five rebounds and three assists.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. added 15 points, all on five 3-pointers.
- Tyler Witz finished with 14 points and eight rebounds.
- Tre Garrett scored 10 points off the bench, while James Toohey recorded a team-high six assists.
- The Cardinals shot 27-of-62 from the field, 11-of-23 from deep, and 14-of-19 at the line.
- Tyson Edmondson led the Lakers with 16 points. LSSU won the rebounding battle 39-34.
The Cardinals host Wayne State University for a GLIAC matchup at 6 pm on Thursday at the O'Neill Arena.