UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University men's basketball team fell to 17th ranked Ferris State University 82-71 on Thursday night in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference contest from James E. O'Neill Jr Arena. SVSU falls to 12-7 overall and 6-5 in the GLIAC. The loss snaps an eight-game home winning streak for the Cardinals.
The conference-leading Bulldogs move to 15-3 overall and 10-0 in league play.
How it Happened:
- Both teams went back and forth through the first media timeout, as Ferris State held an 11-10 advantage.
- The Bulldogs went on a 9-0 run to go up by 10 points before a James Toohey 3-pointer got the Cardinals going again.
- SVSU got to within three points after a pair of Tyrik Singh layups and a layup by Delano Smith.
- Ferris State went on a 9-1 run before SVSU closed the gap to seven points heading into the halftime break. The Bulldogs took a 33-26 lead into the locker room.
- In the second half, Ferris State took an eight-point lead before SVSU went on a 9-2 run to cut the lead to just one with 11:34 remaining.
- The Cardinals were unable to take the lead, however, as Ferris State held off the push and took control of the game with 6:27 left to earn the victory.
Inside the Box Score:
- Delano Smith led SVSU with 20 points on 9-of-15 shooting. He grabbed seven rebounds and had three steals.
- Toohey added 14 points for the Cardinals. The senior was 4-of-6 from deep.
- Freddie McIntosh had 11 points and four assists.
- The Bulldogs won the battle on the glass, as they had 43 rebounds compared to 37 for SVSU.
- SVSU was 27-of-70 from the field, 8-of-25 from 3-point range, and 9-of-18 from the free-throw line.
- Lee Higgins led Ferris State with 23 points.
SVSU will host Lake Superior State University at 3 pm Saturday from James E. O'Neill Jr Arena.