SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University men's basketball team fell to Lake Superior State University in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference contest Thursday in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
The Lakers pulled away midway through the second half and held on for a 99-87 win, dropping the Cardinals to 9-4 overall and 3-2 in the GLIAC.
How it Happened:
- The Lakers jumped out to a 12-7 lead in the first four minutes of the contest.
- SVSU rallied to tie the game at 16-16 after a 3-point play from Tre Garret with 12 minutes to play in the first half.
- Malek Adams hit a 3-pointer to extend the lead back to six points for the Lakers.
- The Cardinals pulled to within two points on a pair of Tyler Witz free throws heading into the break.
- The Lakers jumped back up by eight points early in the second half.
- Witz hit a 3-point play to pull the Cardinals within five but a quick 6-0 run by the Lakers put the home team back in control.
Inside the Box Score:
- Witz led the Cardinals with 28 points on 12-of-15 shooting. He added nine rebounds, narrowly missing a double-double.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. added 17 points and five assists.
- Delano Smith finished with 16 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double.
- James Toohey recorded 11 points and four assists.
- Tre Garrett came off the bench to score nine points and record five steals.
- SVSU shot 32-of-72 from the field, 5-of-30 from deep, and 18-of-21 from the line. SVSU outrebounded LSSU 35-30.
- Malek Adams led all scorers with 33 points and five 3-pointers for the Lakers.
SVSU travels to Ferris State University (RV) at 3 pm Saturday in Big Rapids, Mich.