UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University men's basketball team opened their season on Friday afternoon against the No. 7 Hillsdale College Chargers at James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
Despite a strong effort from the Cardinals, the Chargers were able to pull away late in the second half and earn the victory, 75-67. The Cardinals open the season 0-1.
How it happened:
- Both teams traded baskets to start, as Hillsdale went up 10-9 heading into the first media timeout.
- The first half of the game remained close, and the Chargers took a 31-30 lead into the locker room.
- Hillsdale began pulling away in the second half, leading by as many as 13 points with 11:01 remaining.
- The Cardinals responded however and tied the game at 62 with 6:10 left.
- The Chargers closed the game on a 13-5 run to escape with the victory.
Inside the Box Score:
- Delano Smith led the Cardinals with 27 points on 11-of-21 shooting in 37 minutes of action.
- Maurice Barnett led all players with nine rebounds, as the Cardinals outrebounded Hillsdale 35-31.
- The Chargers dished out 20 assists compared to SVSU's nine.
- Hillsdale also outshot the Cardinals, going 29-53 from the field, 10-20 from three, and 7-10 from the free-throw line. SVSU went 25-63 from the field, 6-17 from three, and 11-14 from the line.
- Patrick Cartier led all scorers with 34 points for the Chargers.
SVSU hosts Malone University at 3 pm Saturday from James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.