UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball team hosted Purdue Northwest on Thursday (Jan. 2) night to open the new year on O'Neill Arena. After leading 42-33 at the half, the Cards maintained throughout the second and delivered an 87-74 win.
The victory moves SV to 8-3 overall on the season and 3-1 in the GLIAC while Purdue Northwest falls to 5-8 and 0-4 in league action.
The Cards got their first double-digit lead of the first half at the 6:33 marker when Nick Thran drilled a three-pointer to make the score 30-18 in SVSU's favor. An Ellison layup with just 36 seconds left in the opening half put the lead at nine at 42-33, which is where it stood heading into the break.
SVSU built that lead to as many as 19 points in the second half, using a layup from Sebastiano Lamonato to make the count 66-47 at the 11:15 point. The Pride got to within seven points (72-65) with 4:46 left but the home team stayed strong and was able to finish the victory by a final score of 87-74.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu's 32 points matched his career-high and he added a game-high eight rebounds in the effort. He was named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Ellison's 24 came with six assists, four rebounds and three steals.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. had 10 points with three boards, two assists and three steals.
- Innocent Nwoko added six boards with two blocks and a steal.
- Lamonato added six rebounds as well.
Postgame Interview - Randy Baruth
Saginaw Valley hits the road for a trip to Wisconsin to face Parkside on Saturday (Jan. 4) afternoon. Tip-off will be 4:00 p.m. eastern time from Kenosha. You can follow all of the action live at www.svsucardinals.com.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---