UNIVERSITY CENTER -- Saginaw Valley's Men's Basketball team hosted the Grace Christian Tigers on Monday (Dec. 16) night in the second meeting of the season between the teams. The Cardinals were dominant throughout the contest, building a 49-23 halftime lead and closing-out with a strong second half as well, sealing a 93-62 win.
The Cards had a strong shooting performance in the opening half, hitting on 16-of-30 shots for a 53.5%. They drilled 10 three-pointers as well on 17 tries through the first 20 minutes of action. Malik Ellison had four of those triples, collecting 13 first half points and four assists. Myles Belyeu added nine points in the first half as well.
Second half scoring was closer, with SVSU out-pacing the Tigers by a 44-39 count. The Cardinals hit on 51.4% (18-35) of their tries in the second half and were able to seal the 31-point victory at 93-62. Jarno Pomstra had eight second half points and four boards while Nick Thran and Jeremy Pung added six, with Pung grabbing four boards as well. Darnell Hoskins Jr. posted six in the final 20 to go along with four assists and a pair of rebounds.
Inside the Boxscore
- Ellison finished with a game-high 18 points, adding five assists and three rebounds. He was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" for his performance.
- Hoskins added 11 points and five helpers himself with two boards and a steal.
- Belyeu netted 11 points with four rebounds, an assist and steal.
- Thran had nine points with a pair of assists, Pomstra finished with eight points and six boards and Pung ended with eight points and four rebounds.
- Innoncent Nwoko had a team-high seven rebounds for SVSU while Jack Roberts had seven points, three rebounds and three helpers.
The Cardinals are off until Thursday, January 2 when SVSU hosts Purdue Northwest in a GLIAC contest. Tip-off will be at 8:00 p.m. and will follow the Lady Cardinals' game versus the Pride.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---