UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Men's Basketball team hosted the Grace Christian University Tigers on Wednesday (Nov. 13) night in a non-conference game. The Cardinals cruised to a victory, building a 43-25 halftime lead and eventually defeating GCU by 34 points with an 88-54 final.
Saginaw Valley shot 58.1% in the opening half, hitting on 18-of-31 shots and held the Tigers to just a mark of 29.7% on 11-of-37 from the floor. Fred John Jr. had 11 first half points with four rebounds to lead the way for the home squad.
In the second half, Malik Ellison led the way offensively with 14 points while Darnell Hoskins Jr. added 11 of his own in the final 20 minutes of action. Jack Roberts worked the glass in the second frame, grabbing seven boards for Saginaw Valley.
SVSU's largest lead of the game came with 43 seconds left, when the Cardinals led by 36 points after a James Toohey layup. The Cards would close-out for the 88-54 win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Ellison had a game-high 20 points, going 5-of-8 from deep in the game.
- John had 15 points with six rebounds while Hoskins added 15 points, three boards, three steals and an assist.
- Toohey chipped-in with 11 points off the bench, adding five boards, three steals and a trio of helpers.
- Roberts grabbed a game-high nine rebounds and added two assists.
- Myles Belyeu added 10 points with a career-high seven assists.
- Innocent Nwoko had eight points with five boards.
- SVSU spread the ball around well, racking-up 24 assists in the victory.
SVSU is back in action on Saturday, Nov. 23 at O'Neill Arena. The Cardinals host Judson (Ill.) in a 3:00 p.m. game that will be played after the women's game at 1:00 p.m. versus Tiffin.