LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Saginaw Valley had its second straight day with a top regional opponent, taking on the third-ranked team in the nation in the Bellarmine University Knights on Saturday (Nov. 9) night. Bellarmine was in control throughout the game, building a big lead in the first half and eventually closing-out for a 97-68 victory over the Cardinals.
Bellarmine separated in the end of the second half and worked its way out to a 20-point halftime lead at 49-29. The Knights show 57.6% from the floor in the opening half compared to SVSU's mark of 42.3%. BU had a decisive edge on the boards with a 23-10 advantage in rebounds through the first 20 minutes.
The Knights outscored Saginaw Valley 48-39 in the second half as well, sealing the 29-point regional win at home.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Knights shot 55.2% for the game and SVSU hit at a 43.4% clip.
- Bellarmine owned a 49-21 edge on the glass, turning into an 18-2 lead in second chance points with 17 of those rebounds being offensive.
- BU had a 56-24 edge in points in the paint as well.
- Myles Belyeu had a team-best 21 points with three assists.
- Malik Ellison added 20 points with three boards, three assists and three steals.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. added 11 points.
The Cardinals host their 2019-20 home opener on Wednesday (Nov. 13), hosting Grace Christian University at O'Neill Arena. Tip-off will be at 7:00 p.m. for the non-conference matchup.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---