LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The SVSU Men's Basketball team had a tightly-contested game versus the University of Indianapolis on Friday (Nov. 8) night, taking on the Greyhounds in the GLIAC / GLVC Challenge at Bellarmine University. The Cardinals were close throughout and held a lead later in the game but would eventually fall by a final score of 77-73 in the regional battle.
UIndy led by a score of 36-32 at the halftime break, shooting 40.0% from the floor while Saginaw Valley hit on 38.7% of its shots in the opening 20 minutes of action. Both Darnell Hoskins Jr. and Malik Ellison had eight points to lead the offensive end in the first while Fred John Jr. and Myles Belyeu added seven-apiece. Belyeu and John had a game-high six first half rebounds.
In the second half, the Cards held their largest lead of five points (60-55) with just 6:54 to play after Hoskins made a three-pointer. The lead bounced back and forth a bit from there and a layup from John would put the score at a 72-72 deadlock with 1:43 to play.
The Greyhounds got a three and made free throw, pushing their lead out to 76-72 with 22 ticks left on the clock. After several shots would not fall for the visitors, each team got a single made free throw from there and Indy was able to close-out for the 77-73 win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hoskins had a game-high 19 points, hitting 6-of-10 shots and 5-of-9 from downtown.
- Belyeu added 18 points with 10 boards and four assists for the double-double.
- John had a double-double as well, collecting 13 points and a game-high 11 boards with four helpers.
- Malik Ellison registered 16 points in his first game for the Cards with seven rebounds, three assists and a steal.
- Indy shot 46.7% in the game while SVSU was at 40.7%.
- The Cards posted a 39-36 edge on the glass while Indy held a 28-22 advantage in the paint.
Saginaw Valley faces host and No. 3 nationally-ranked Bellarmine on Saturday night. Tip-off will be at 8:00 p.m. from Louisville. You can follow all of the action live at svsucardinals.com.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---