ROCHESTER -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball team hit the road for its second preseason exhibition game on Wednesday (Oct. 20), playing at Oakland University. The Golden Grizzlies would come out on top in the preseason matchup, claiming a 84-63 victory over SVSU at the Athletics Center O'Rena in Rochester.
The Golden Grizzlies built as much as a 13-point lead in the first half, leading by a 33-20 score as 3:01 remained in the opening frame. They carried a 35-23 halftime edge over the Cardinals.
Myles Belyeu led the way in scoring for the first half of action, hitting on 3-5 shots and a pair of free throws for eight points. Darnell Hoskins Jr. added six points, drilling a pair of three-pointers in the first half. Fred John Jr. had a game-high four boards in the first.
Oakland was led by Xavier Hill-Mais with 14 first half points and four rebounds, as the Golden Grizzlies shot 45.5% (10-22) from the floor in the opening 20 minutes. Saginaw Valley hit on 30.8% of its shots (8-26). OU was 1-8 from three while SVSU hit on just 2-12 shots from beyond the arc. The Cards forced eight turnovers while committing just four on the offensive end.
Saginaw Valley worked its way back to trim the deficit to six points at 42-36 with 16:35 showing in the second half as James Toohey buried a triple.
The Golden Grizzlies went on a 20-6 run from there, however, taking a 20-point lead (62-42) as 9:11 was left in the contest.
Oakland would continue to maintain a comfortable lead the rest of the way and would close out for an 84-63 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- OU finished 57.1% (28-49) from the floor while SV was 36.1% (22-61) in the game.
- Oakland posted a 37-29 edge in rebounds and a 36-24 advantage in the paint.
- SVSU forced 19 turnovers and committed 17.
- Belyeu led the team with 19 points, adding three rebounds and three assists.
- Hoskins added 15 points with three helpers while Malik Ellison posted 14 points.
- Innocent Nwoko had a team-high seven rebounds and five points.
- Hill-Mais led Oakland with 26 points and six rebounds.
Saginaw Valley rounds-out its preseason exhibition slate on Friday at the University of Michigan. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m. in Ann Arbor. The game will be streamed live on BTN+ or you can follow / listen live at svsucardinals.com.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---