MARQUETTE -- The Cardinal Men hit the road for a Thursday evening matchup at Northern Michigan University in league action. Saginaw Valley would drop the contest by a final score of 87-73 at the Berry Events Center.
SVSU led for most of the fist half and by as many as six points at the 14:10 marker when James Toohey drilled one of his three triples to give the visitors a 10-4 lead.
Northern Michigan would erase the deficit once tied at 22-22 but found itself trailing 29-25 with 4:31 left in the first when Darnell Hoskins Jr. hit a pair of free throws for the visitors. The Wildcats took over the rest of the frame from there, going on a 13-0 run to enter the locker room leading by a 38-29 score.
Toohey led the way for Saginaw Valley in the opening half, hitting three triples on five tries for nine points. Myles Belyeu added six points while Jack Roberts and Avery Lewis each had fie. Sebastiano Lamonato grabbed five first half boards for the Cardinals.
The second half saw more scoring from the teams, as Northern Michigan went for 49 points while Saginaw Valley scored 44 points. The Wildcats led by as many as 18 points early on in the second but the Cardinals trimmed the deficit to five points with 4:40 to play after a paif of Lamonato free throws.
NMU was too strong in the end, however, finishing-off the contest with the 14-point win, 87-73.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu led all scorers with 26 points, adding four rebounds in the contest.
- Lewis had 14 points, marking a new career-high for him after shooting 6-of-11 from the floor. He added six rebounds and four assists while being named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Toohey added 10 points with two boards while Lamonato, Jack Roberts and Hoskins all scored seven points. Lamonato added a game-high eight rebounds while Liam Evans added seven.
- Saginaw Valley had 17 offensive rebounds in the contest and posted a 37-34 overall edge on the glass.
- The Cardinals registered a 20-14 advantage in scoring inside the paint as well.
The Cardinals continue in the U.P. on Saturday with a game at Michigan Tech. Tip-off will be 2:00 p.m. from Houghton.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---