UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Saginaw Valley State University Men's Basketball team fell at home on Thursday night to the Ferris State Bulldogs, dropping the contest by a final score of 92-70.
Ferris State improves to 16-7 overall and 8-4 in the GLIAC while SVSU falls to 7-13 and 3-9 in league play.
The first half saw the score tight and Saginaw Valley led by three points (8-5) when Fred John Jr. made a free throw to complete a three-point play with 15:57 showing on the clock.
The Bulldogs and Cardinals saw the lead bounce back-and-forth from there, providing an exciting opening half and Ferris headed to the half leading by a 42-34 score.
Ferris proved to be too much in the second half, however, outscoring the Cardinals by a 50-36 margin to eventually secure the 22-point victory at 92-70.
Inside the Boxscore
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after scoring a game-high 20 points. He added five rebounds, four assists and a steal in the effort.
- Myles Belyeu added 18 points and six rebounds with a pair of assists.
- James Toohey netted 11 points with seven rebounds and two helpers.
- John grabbed 10 boards and scored nine points for the Cards.
- The Cardinals out-rebounded the Bulldogs by a 48-36 margin.
- SVSU had 21 turnovers compared to five for Ferris, giving the visitors a 20-0 points off turnovers edge.
- Ferris's bench outscored SVSU's by a 37-8 margin as well.
SVSU hosts Lake Superior State on Saturday (Feb. 2) in a 3:00 p.m. GLIAC matchup. The teams met earlier this season on Dec. 6 in Sault Ste. Marie. The Lakers came out with a 70-62 win in that contest. Tip-off is set for 3:00 p.m. at O'Neill Arena.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---