UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball squad returned home after a road trip and hosted Grace Christian University in a non-conference matchup on Wednesday evening. Saginaw Valley had a solid outing in the contest, recording an 89-73 victory over the Tigers.
The Cards held a lead throughout the entire game besides at the 9:32 marker when the Tigers held a short 21-19 lead. SVSU bounced back and pushed its lead out to double digits and a 47-34 edge at the halftime break.
Hoskins had 14 first half points while Belyeu added a dozen with five rebounds.
The second half saw the home team lead by as many as 22 points when Lewis slammed home a breakaway dunk to give SVSU a 70-48 lead. The home team held on from there, eventually sealing the deal with the 89-73 score.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu had game-highs of 18 points and seven boards, earning himself Meijer "Player of the Game" honors. He added two assists and a steal as well.
- Hoskins matched Myles's game-best 18 points, connecting on 7-of-11 shots and 4-of-8 from deep. He had a pair of helpers and a steal too.
- John netted 10 points with four boards, three assists and a trio of steals.
- Lewis posted a career-high with his 10 points. He had four rebounds, an assist and two steals.
- James Toohey hit three triples for nine points while Jack Roberts added eight.
- The Cardinals shot 52.4% from the field while the Tigers were at 42.9%.
- GCU had 38 boards to SVSU's 33 while the Cardinals posted a 38-22 edge in points in the paint.
The Cardinals host Northwood University on Saturday (Jan. 26) while getting back to GLIAC action. Tip-off is slated for 3:00 p.m. at SVSU's O'Neill Arena. Saginaw Valley will be holding its annual Alumni weekend as well. For full details on that event, click here.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---