DETROIT -- In the final contest of a four game GLIAC road stretch, the Cardinal Men's Basketball team came away with a 101-97 overtime victory over Wayne State University on Saturday afternoon in Detroit. SVSU had three players score at least 20 points in leading the visitors to surpass the 100-point mark for the first time this season.
In what was a high-scoring first half, the Warriors led by a score of 52-44 as the teams entered the halftime break. James Toohey led the way for the visitors with 12 first half points, connecting on all four of his tries from downtown in the half. Myles Belyeu added 11 points in the first 20 minutes.
Wayne State pushed the lead out to as many as 11 points (60-49) as 16:59 was showing on the clock. The Cardinals, however, worked their way back in the contest and trailed 85-80 with only 57 seconds left in the game.
A Fred John Jr. layup trimmed the deficit to 85-82 with 44 seconds left and the Cardinals would get a defensive board off a missed Warrior shot, setting up SV with a chance to tie the game with 12 seconds to go.
Darnell Hoskins Jr. came up clutch for the visitors, drilling a triple to tie the game at 85-85 with just over a second to play. That sent the game to overtime.
After a quick bucket gave the Warriors an 87-85 lead, Toohey recorded eight points for the Cardinals and that gave SVSU a 93-89 edge with 2:40 to play.
Saginaw Valley led by as many as seven points at 101-94 when Avery Lewis made good on a pair of free throws. A late three-pointer for the Warriors made the score 101-97, which is where the final score stood.
Inside the Boxscore
- Toohey matched a career-high with 27 points in the victory, connecting on 7-of-10 shots from beyond the arc. He added four rebounds, two assists and two steals while earning Meijer "Player of the Game" honors.
- Belyeu added 24 points with six boards an assist and steal.
- Hoskins netted 20 points with seven assists, two boards and a pair of steals.
- John had a dozen points with six rebounds and two assists.
- Lewis had a solid eight points and nine boards, adding three assists in the victory.
The Cardinals will host Grace Christian on Wednesday (Jan. 23) in a 7:00 p.m. non-conference matchup at SVSU's O'Neill Arena. SVSU will then host Northwood on Saturday (Jan. 26) in a 3:00 p.m. matchup.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---