WESTVILLE, Ind. -- The SVSU Men's Basketball team got career performances from several players in securing a 75-67 victory on the road Thursday night at Purdue Northwest.
The victory marked the 100th career win for head coach Randy Baruth as well, as he is in his seventh season at the helm of the program.
The Pride jumped out to a 7-0 lead and the Cardinals trailed until they claimed their first lead at 18-16 when Hoskins hit consecutive triples.
Saginaw Valley continued to close-out the half strong, carrying a 28-24 edge into the break.
Hoskins was the only player to record double-figures in scoring after 20 minutes, hitting 6-10 shots and 2-3 from deep for 14 points. John grabbed eight first half boards for the visitors.
The Cardinals worked their lead to out as many as 20 points at 59-39 when James Toohey nailed his second three-pointer in a row with 7:28 remaining on the clock.
Despite the home Pride cutting into the deficit, SVSU led by 11 points (72-61) with 22 seconds left and won by the final count of 75-67.
SVSU is now 4-8 overall on the season and 1-4 in the GLIAC while Purdue Northwest falls to 4-9 overall and 0-5 in league action.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hoskins was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after his career-best 29 points. He added three rebounds with an assist and steal.
- John matched his career-high with 15 rebounds, adding five points with a pair of helpers.
- Roberts had career-highs in points (11), rebounds (8) and minutes (23) in the victory while adding one assist and steal.
- Toohey had another solid game, registering 12 points, nine boards, three assists, a pair of steals and a block.
- Myles Belyeu had 13 points with seven boards, an assist and steal.
- The Cardinals shot 42.9% from the floor while the Pride hit on 34.8% of their tries.
- SVSU owned the rebounding edge by a 53-28 margin.
- SVSU had a 34-24 advantage in the paint.
Saginaw Valley returns home to face Parkside in another league contest. That game will follow the women's game and begin at roughly 3:00 p.m. The last time the teams met was in the 2015-16 postseason when SVSU defeated the Rangers 92-77 in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Semifinals.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---