UNIVERSITY CENTER -- Saginaw Valley State University got a career-high 27 points from James Toohey on Sunday, but it was not enough as the Cardinals dropped a 69-63 decision at home to the Olivet College Comets.
Olivet improves to 4-7 overall on the 2018-19 season while the Cardinals are now 3-8 this year.
At the 12:59 point of the first half, Toohey hit a triple to trim the Comet lead to 15-14.
Olivet would take over from there in the half, however, carrying a 10-point lead in the break at 36-26.
The Cardinals worked all the way back and knotted the game up at 41-41 as Toohey hit a jumper at the 12:21 marker of the second half.
Toohey would hit another three-pointer to give the home squad a 55-54 lead with 6:20 showing on the clock left in the game. He had another layup with just under two minutes left to give the Cards another lead at 63-62.
That proved to be the final lead of the game for SVSU, as the Comets went on a 7-0 run to finish the game and take the victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Toohey hit on 9-16 shots and 6-10 from deep for his game and career-high 27 points. He added eight boards, three assists and two blocks. He was named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Myles Belyeu added 12 points with a team-best nine boards and three assists with two steals.
- Fred John Jr. added 10 points as well with eight rebounds and a steal.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. had nine points and a career-high nine assists and four rebounds.
- Olivet had a 42.9% field goal percentage while SVSU hit on 35.3% of its shots.
- The Cardinals posted a 45-34 edge on the boards while the Comets had a 36-30 lead in the paint.
The Cardinals hit the road to play at Purdue Northwest on Thursday (Jan. 3), continuing GLIAC play against the Pride. Tip-off will be 8:00 p.m. eastern time from Hammond, Indiana.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---