UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball team had a great night shooting from downtown, hitting 15 three-pointers to secure a 94-65 home victory over Grace Christian University on Monday evening. SVSU got seven triples from James Toohey and another six from Darnell Hoskins Jr., as both players went for over 20 points in the victory.
Saginaw Valley improves to 3-7 overall on the season while the Tigers fall to 11-6 overall.
The contest started off close and stayed that way until there were less than seven minutes left in the first half and the score was knotted up at 30-30.
From there, the Cardinals seven straight points and took a 37-30 lead after Hoskins made a layup. He would maintain that seven point lead as well for Saginaw Valley, hitting a deep triple as time expired in the opening half to send the contest to the locker room with a 49-42 Cardinal lead.
Saginaw Valley worked its way out to a double-digit lead of 53-42 when Hoskins hit another layup with 18:47 showing. The Cards led by as many as 33 points (94-61) with 1:06 left to play after Avery Lewis hit a free throw. They cruised to the 94-65 win after shooting 56.3% in the final 20 minutes of action.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hoskins was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after netting a career-high 25 points. He added three assists and a trio of steals in his 27 minutes of action. He was 8-12 shooting and 6-9 from downtown.
- Toohey hit on 7-12 three-pointers and finished with a season-best 21 points. He chipped-in with five assists, three steals and a block.
- Fred John Jr. had a double-double, getting 12 points with 10 rebounds. He added three helpers and a block.
- Myles Belyeu had 11 points with six assists, two boards and a pair of steals.
- The Cardinals' 15 three-pointers is just two shy of the team's record of 17, set last season at home versus Tiffin.
- SVSU shot 54.5% from the floor while the Tigers hit at a 45.6% clip.
- The battle of the boards went to Grace 32-31 while the Cardinals posted a slim 34-32 edge in the paint.
- Head coach Randy Baruth sits just one victory shy of 100 for his career.
The Cardinals are off until Sunday, Dec. 30 when they host Olivet College. Tip-off is slated for 3:00 p.m. at SVSU's O'Neill Arena.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---