UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball squad got a double-double from Myles Belyeu and had three others score in double-figures, leading the team to the first victory of the season with an 88-78 victory over the Alma College Scots. The game was played at SVSU's James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
Belyeu had his first career double-double, netting a career-high 32 points with 10 rebounds, four assists and four steals. Elijah Pughsley added 12 points for a career-best while Liam Evans (11) and Darnell Hoskins Jr. (15) added double-digit scoring efforts.
In the first half, the Cardinals worked their way out to as much as an eight point lead twice, the second coming with 7:12 to play with the score 28-20 when Avery Lewis drilled a three-pointer.
Alma worked its way back to take a one point halftime lead at 41-40.
Saginaw Valley improved in the second half, outscoring the visitors by a 48-37 margin in the final 20 minutes. The Cardinals built a 10 point lead first at 58-48 and led by as many as 12 points. The second time the difference was a dozen came with 8:34 to play when a Belyeu layup pushed the score out to 69-57.
The home team maintained the edge from there, sealing the 88-78 victory over the Scots.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" for his stellar effort with the 32 points, 10 boards, four helpers and four steals.
- Pughsley added three steals, two assists and two boards to the effort along with his 12 points.
- Hoskins grabbed a career-high seven boards to go along with his 15 points.
- Evans added the 11 points in the victory while Avery Lewis had nine rebounds and seven points.
- The Cards shot 45.7% from the floor while the Scots hit at a 44.8% clip.
- SVSU had just four turnovers and forced 13 on the defensive end.
- Saginaw Valley had 40 points in the paint compared to Alma's 30.
- The Cardinals won the battle on the boards 43-40.
- The game had three ties and 14 lead changes.
The Cardinals hit the road for the first time on Saturday (Nov. 17), traveling to play at the University of Findlay. The Oilers are ranked 23rd in the most recent NABC Top 25 rankings. Tip-off for the contest is set for 3:00 p.m. from Findlay, Ohio.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---