ASHLAND, Ohio -- Looking to get back on the winning track on Thursday (Feb. 22) evening, the SVSU Men's Basketball team played at Ashland University in a GLIAC tilt at Kates Gymnasium. The Cardinals, however, could not get a road victory against the Eagles after falling by a final score of 82-64.
The game remained tight throughout the first portion, as it was tied at 8-8 with 13:36 showing when Fred John Jr. made a jumper for SVSU.
The home Eagles grabbed the lead from there though and scored the next 10 points and led by an 18-8 count with 10:19 showing on the scoreboard for the first half.
Ashland worked its lead out to as many as 17 points in the first, holding that same margin at the halftime break when it hit a three-pointer to lead by a 39-22 margin.
Saginaw Valley got to within 11 points with 13:13 to play after Malik Garner made a pair of free throws to put the score at 49-38 in the Eagles' favor.
AU extended its lead out to as many as 24 points with 3:48 to play at 79-55 en route to claiming an 18-point win at 82-64.
Inside the Boxscore
- John finished the game with team-best totals of 14 points and six rebounds, earning him Meijer "Player of the Game" plaudits. He added a pair of assists.
- DJ Hoskins had 13 points with two boards, two assists and a block.
- Garner chipped-in with 11 points, two steals and an assist.
- AU shot 50.0% (28-56) while SV was 37.5% (24-64).
- The Eagles posted a 41-32 edge on the glass and 42-32 advantage in the paint.
- Saginaw Valley's bench outscored Ashland's 32-7.
The Cardinals travel to face Tiffin University on Saturday (Feb. 24) in another GLIAC road matchup. Tip-off is slated for 1:00 p.m. Saginaw Valley clinches the eighth and final spot in the 2018 GLIAC Tournament with a victory over the Dragons or a Northwood loss at Ashland.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---