UNIVERSITY CENTER — The SVSU Men's Basketball squad won its third straight game on Thursday night, defeating the Wayne State Warriors by a final score of 78-71 in the final home contest of the 2017-18 season at O'Neill Arena.
The Cardinals came out hot with a 10-0 run against the Warriors, with DJ Hoskins posting half of the SVSU points over that stretch. Wayne State responded by posting an eight-point run to trail 10-8 at the 12:04 mark.
With 4:11 left to play in the half, the Warriors grabbed their first lead of the contest of 24-23. Mike Wells Jr. had a bucket to regain the lead for a moment, but WSU would go on to finish the half ahead, 34-26. SVSU was led by Wells as he posted eight points in the half.
With a layup at 13:24 from Fred John Jr., the Cardinals regained the lead 44-42. SVSU would continue to increase their lead to nine at the 7:54 mark of the second half.
Saginaw Valley would eventually hold-off the strong Wayne State team, making free throwd down the stretch en route to the 78-71 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Hoskins led the way for the Cardinals, going for a new career-high of 22 points with three rebounds, an assist and steal.
- Wells finished his senior night with 14 points, three boards and four assists.
- Fred John Jr. contributed the team high of eight boards to go along with his 15 points. He earned Meijer "Player of the Game" honors for his efforts.
- Toohey reached double figures in scoring as well, adding 13 points to go along with six rebounds, three steals and two helpers.
- Lemonato added 11 points, five rebounds, two blocks with a steal and assist.
- Saginaw Valley was a stellar 30-of-35 from the free throw line in the contest.
Postgame Interview - DJ Hoskins
The Cardinals will hit the road for the remainder of the season, starting with a game against Davenport University on Saturday (Feb. 17). Tip-off is slated for 3:00 p.m. in Caledonia, Michigan. SVSU defeated the Panthers earlier this season, pulling out a narrow 72-69 overtime victory back on January 13.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---