UNIVERSITY CENTER -- In a Saturday night league rivalry matchup, the SVSU Men's Basketball team fell at home to the Northwood University Timberwolves. After a first half of play where the teams entered the half tied 38-38, the Timberwolves escaped O'Neill Arena with a slim 68-64 win.
Saginaw Valley ran out to an early lead and built it out to eight points (15-7) when DJ Hoskins hit one of his three triples at the 14:18 marker.
The home team would hold a pair of seven point leads for the rest of the first half, the second coming at the 8:38 point when Mike Wells Jr. made a layup to make the score 26-19.
NU came back from there and worked back to take a 36-35 lead before another three from Hoskins put the Cards back out in front 38-36. A layup with just over a minute left would put the score at 38-38, which is were it remained heading into halftime.
The Cardinals held their largest lead of the night of nine points with 14:06 to play when James Toohey hit on a layup to make the score 51-42.
Northwood would work its way back to tie the game at 62-62 with just over two minutes to play before the Cardinals used a Liam Evans bucket to take a 64-62 edge with 1:51 to play.
The T-Wolves, however, would regain the lead and pushed it to three points at 67-64 with just 25 seconds showing on the clock. After another possession that didn't result in points for the home squad, Northwood would add another point on a free throw and make the score 68-64. That would end up being the final count with the Timberwolves coming away with the victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hoskins finished the game with a team-high 16 points in 38 minutes of action. He added four rebounds, an assist, steal and block.
- Sebastiano Lamonato was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after posting 13 points, adding five boards and an assist. He had two blocks as well.
- Wells added 12 points, chipping-in with five assists and three steals.
- Evans had eight points and added five boards.
- Malik Garner chipped-in with eight points, adding two rebounds and an assist.
- Northwood shot 54.0% from the floor while the Cardinals went for a 40.7% clip.
- The Timberwolves had 37 rebounds and the Cardinals had 27.
After a string of home games, the Cardinals will now hit the road for a Thursday (2/1) night contest at Lake Superior State University. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. The Lakers defeated SVSU in the earlier meeting this season, coming out on top by a final score of 89-60 on December 7 at SVSU.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---