UNIVERSITY CENTER — The SVSU Men's Basketball team bounced back with a non-conference victory over Indiana Tech on Saturday (Dec. 30) afternoon. The Cardinals ran out to an early 21-point lead in the first half and would lead wire-to wire in claiming the 71-66 win over the No. 6 team in the NAIA Division II.
Saginaw Valley carried a 38-28 lead into the halftime break, led by 12 points from DJ Hoskins in the opening 20 minutes.
The Warriors came back solid in the second half to outscore the Cards by a 38-33 margin but solid free throw shooting down the stretch sealed the win for SV at 71-66.
Inside the Boxscore:
- Hoskins earned Meijer "Player of the Game" honors after going 8-of-10 from the floor and 4-of-6 from beyond the arc for a career-high 21 points in his 33 minutes of action. He added four assists, four steals, two rebounds and a block.
- Fred John Jr. added 12 points for the Cards, connecting on 6-of-7 shots from the field. He added four boards, two steals and a block.
- Daniels added nine points while James Toohey added a team-best six boards, five points, four assists, three steals and a block.
- SVSU shot 43.9% from the field while the Warriors were 39.3%.
- Indiana Tech grabbed 42 boards and SVSU had 27.
- The Cardinals forced 19 turnovers and committed just 11 in the game, scoring 23 points off the turnovers.
- The SVSU bench outscored the Warrior bench by a 28-13 margin.
Postgame Interview - DJ Hoskins
The Cardinals will head into 2018 with a GLIAC matchup against Purdue Northwest on Jan. 4. The Pride are coming off a 91-69 loss against Spring Arbor on Dec. 29. Tip-off is slated for 8 p.m. following the women's game at 6 p.m.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---