UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Men hosted Rochester College on Tuesday (Dec. 19) night in the team's final contest before the holiday break. In what was a tough night offensively for the Cardinals, they fell to the visiting Warriors by a final score of 72-51 at SVSU's James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
SVSU didn't get its first points until the 12:52 marker of the first half when DJ Hoskins made a layup to make the score 5-2. Rochester would maintain control and take a 32-21 lead into the halftime break.
The Cards were led offensively in the opening 20 minutes of play by James Toohey, who drilled both of his three-point attempts and had six points.
The Warriors continued the lead throughout the second half to make it a wire-to-wire victory, outscoring Saginaw Valley 40-30 in the second half and leading by as many as 24 points en route to the 21-point win, 72-51.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hoskins and Lamonato each recorded a team-high 10 points in the contest and three rebounds. Lamonato was named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Wells finished with eight points and four assists.
- Malik Garner netted seven points and team-highs of five boards and five assists.
- James Toohey added six points and four steals in the game.
- Jake Daniels had nine points as well, adding three boards.
- Rochester shot 46.3% from the floor while Saginaw Valley was 31.0%.
- The Warriors held a 42-28 edge on the glass and 28-20 advantage in the paint.
- SVSU's bench outscored Rochester's by a 29-17 margin.
From Head Coach Randy Baruth
Saginaw Valley will be off until Saturday, Dec. 30 when the Cardinals host the Indiana Tech Warriors. Tip-off for that non-conference tilt will be at 3:00 p.m. at O'Neill Arena. It will be the second game of an SVSU doubleheader that day, as the women face Lewis University at 1:00 p.m.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---