MARQUETTE -- The SVSU Men's Basketball team completed its annual trip to the U.P. with a Saturday morning game at Northern Michigan University. After holding a lead in the first half with under 10 minutes left, the Cardinals fell to the Wildcats by a score of 86-69 despite outscoring the home team 48-47 in the second half.
The Wildcats opened up a nine point lead early on (11-2) at the 14:27 marker of the first but the Cards would work their way back and take a lead at the 10:12 marker when Liam Evans connected on a three-pointer. A three-point advantage would follow, as Fred John Jr. added a layup to put the visitors up 18-15 with 9:35 to play. That would mark the largest lead of the day for Saginaw Valley.
NMU got the lead back and made it double figures at 28-18 with 5:32 showing on the clock. The 'Cats closed-out the opening half with a 39-21 lead over SVSU.
The home squad continued on and led by as many as 28 points, coming at the 14:55 marker when the score was 58-30.
A three-point play from Sebastiano Lamonato with only 5:58 to play brought the deficit back down to under 20 points at 72-55. Northern Michigan would not back down though and sealed the home victory by a final score of 86-69.
Inside the Boxscore
- NMU shot 50.8% (33-65) from the floor while SVSU went 25-of-57 from the field for a 43.9 percentage.
- The Wildcats posted a 43-30 edge on the glass in the contest.
- The home squad won the points in the paint category as well, posting a 42-28 advantage.
- The Cardinal bench had 39 points in comparison to Northern's 22.
- DJ Hoskins led the was with a team-high 14 points, adding five boards as well with an assist and steal. He was named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Lamonato added 13 points and six boards.
- Mike Wells Jr. netted 11 points with three boards, three helpers and a steal.
- Malik Garner had seven points and seven assists as well.
- Liam Evans notched a career-high 10 points in the contest.
SVSU returns home for a pair of GLIAC contests this weekend, beginning Thursday (Dec. 7) night against Lake Superior State University. Tip-off is set for 8:00 p.m. at the James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---