UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University football team earned its third straight win and second of the season over Wayne State University, topping the Warriors 41-25 Saturday at Wickes Stadium.
After the Cardinals fell behind 10-0 early, SVSU rolled up 34 unanswered points, as the rushing game got going for the home team. Leading 17-10 at the break, SVSU took the opening possession of the third right down the field for another score, capped by a Tommy Scott rushing touchdown. Tyler Amos made it 31-10 midway through the fourth with an 11-yard run, while Mike O'Horo rushed one in from 24 yards out for his second touchdown of the contest to put the game away late.
THe win moves SVSU to 5-3 overall and 2-2 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- Wayne State started strong, taking the first possession of the game down the field, 59 yards on 11 plays, going in front with a 2-yard touchdown pass
- After an SVSU three-and-out, the Warriors added their lead with a 40-yard field goal
- The Cardinals got on the board early in the third with a 16-yard touchdown pass from Colby Newburg to Chad Gailliard
- SVSU tied the score on its next possession with a 34-yard field goal from Connor Luksic
- The Cardinals went in front 17-10 later in the second when Mike O'Horo capped off an 11-play drive with a six-yard touchdown run
- The Cardinals pushed their lead to 14 points on the opening possession of the second half as Tommy Scott found the end zone on an eight-yard rush.
- Tyler Amos got the scoring started in a wild fourth quarter with an 11-yard TD run with 7:18 tp play to make it 31-10
- Luksic hit his second field goal of the contest, this one from a season-long 48 yards
- Wayne State stopped the SVSU run with a Chase Churchill pass to Nick Poterack from 5 yards to cut the deficit to 31-18 after the two-point conversion.
- O'Horo scored his second touchdown of the game, rushing it in from 24 yards out with under two minutes remaining
- Churchill found Jesse Prewitt for a 26-yard touchdown pass in the closing minute for the game's final score.
Inside the Box Score:
- Colby Newburg was 10-of-19 passing for 123 yards and a touchdown
- Isaiah Johnson-Mack led the SVSU receivers with six catches for 92 yards
- Tommy Scott had 15 carries for 56 yards and a score
- Luksic was 2/2 on field goals and 5/5 on extra points. He averaged 35.75 yards per punt on four attempts and landed three inside the 20.
- Michael Woolridge was named the Meijer Player of the Game. He finished with eight total tackles, two sacks, and an interception
SVSU travels to Davenport University for a noon kickoff next Saturday in Caledonia, Mich.