UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – The Axe Bowl Trophy handle will remain RED for another year, as the Saginaw Valley State University football team pulled away for a rivalry win over Northwood University on Homecoming Saturday at Wickes Stadium.
The Cardinals jumped out to a 24-3 lead at the break on the strength of a blocked punt for a touchdown and a fake punt rush up the middle for another score in the first half. The Timberwolves rallied in the third, scoring 10 unanswered points, but a fourth-quarter, 89-yard run by Tommy Scott secured the 31-13 win and the right for SVSU to hold on to the Axe.
The victory moves SVSU to 4-3 overall and 1-2 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- The Cardinals took the opening drive 49 yards on eight plays and got on the board first with a 36-yard field goal from Connor Luksic
- After a Luksic punt pinned the Timberwolves at their own 2-yard line, SVSU forced a three-and-out, forcing Northwood to punt from their own end zone. James Schelke blocked the punt, and it was recovered by Victor Abraham for an SVSU touchdown to make it 10-0.
- After Northwood blocked a punt late in the first quarter, the Timberwolves got on the board with a 40-yard field goal early in the second to make it 10-3.
- Northwood looked like it was going to get the ball back with a chance to tie the game, but SVSU ran a fake punt and Jack Morris ran up the middle for a 47-yard touchdown to swing momentum back to the home team.
- The Cardinal chewed up nearly all the remaining clock in the second quarter, marching 88 yards on 15 plays in 7:54 of game time. Starting quarterback Colby Newburg capped the drive with a 1-yard touchdown rush to make it 24-3 heading to the break.
- Northwood chipped away in the third, starting with a 28-yard field goal.
- After SVSU fumbled the ensuing kickoff, Nate Gomez hit John Hall for a 3-yard touchdown to cut the Cardinal lead to 24-13.
- Northwood was driving again early in the fourth, reaching the SVSU 38-yard line when Tim Kidd-Glass intercepted a pass for the Cardinals.
- After the teams traded quick possessions, Tommy Scott put the game away with an 89-yard touchdown run, sprinting his ay past the Northwood defense, picking up big blocks along the way from Chad Gailliard and Isaiah Johnson-Mack.
Inside the Box Score:
- SVSU outgained Northwood 359 to 193 with 282 yards coming on the ground for the Cardinals.
- Scott finished with nine carries for 112 yards and a score. Scott has four 100-yard games this season and 687 yards total.
- Colby Newburg was an efficient 9-of-15 passing for 77 yards, adding 16 carries for 57 yards and a touchdown.
- Isaiah Johnson-Mack led the receivers with three receptions for 36 yards.
- Victor Abraham was named the Meijer Player of the Game for the second time this season. He finished with 11 tackles, two for a loss, 1.5 sacks, a fumble recovery, and a touchdown.
- Leonard henry recorded nine tackles and forced a fumble.
- Marvin White finished with five tackles, including an assisted tackle for a loss, along with an interception.
Postgame Interviews Below:
The Cardinals will remain home to host Wayne State University at 3 pm next Saturday at Wickes Stadium. It will be the second meeting of the season between the two schools after SVSU topped WSU 41-21 in week three in Detroit.