GLIAC -- The 2018 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Football postseason awards have been announced after voting conducted by the league's head coaches. The Saginaw Valley State University Football team had 13 student-athletes honored with All-GLIAC plaudits, including three earning first team honors.
SVSU finished its 2018 season this past Saturday with a 24-17 overtime victory at Davenport, posting an 8-3 overall record for the season. The Cardinals were 5-3 in league play. The eight wins are the most since the 2013 season (9) .
The Cardinals who were named All-GLIAC for the 2018 campaign are listed below...
All-GLIAC First Team
Chad Gailliard - So - WR - Dearborn, Mich.
- Gailliard followed his 2017 GLIAC Freshman of the Year campaign with one just as impressive. He led the league in receiving for the second straight season, tallying GLIAC-best figures in receptions (63), yards (1,005), yards per game (91.4) and touchdowns (12). Gailliard's 1,939 career receiving yards rank him 8th in program history after two seasons and his 20 TD are now 6th. He becomes the 5th receiver to ever net over 1,000 yards in a season.
Heath Williams - Jr - DT - East Lansing, Mich.
- Williams stood-out as one of the top defensive linemen in the league in 2018, registering a GLIAC-best 13 sacks and 19 tackles-for-loss. He ranked 5th on the team with 56 tackles, adding a forced fumble. His 17.5 career sacks move him into the No. 10 spot all-time at Saginaw Valley State University and the 13.5 sacks are the third-best single season figure.
Michael Alexander - Sr - LB - Midland, Mich.
- Alexander led the league in tackles (117) and tackles per game (10.6) to round-out his career for the Cardinals. He surpassed the 100-tackle mark for the first time in his career and now ranks 13th all-time in the program's history with 291 stops. Alexander was named the GLIAC Defensive Player of the Week once during the 2018 season.
All-GLIAC Second Team
Nate McCrary - So - RB - Muskegon, Mich.
- McCrary led the Cardinal rushing attack in 2018 with 520 yards and 11 touchdowns. The 11 scores ranked him third in the GLIAC and his 137 total rushes ranked 6th. He now has 18 career rushing TD, putting him just two outside of the top-10 in SVSU history.
Trevor Curle - Jr - OL - Macomb, Mich.
- Curle anchored an SVSU offensive line that totaled 339.9 yards per game, helping lead the team to an 8-3 overall record.
Donnell Alexander - So - DB - Detroit, Mich.
- Alexander helped anchor an SVSU defense that ranked 2nd in the GLIAC in scoring, allowing just 16.6 ppg. He ranked 6th on the team with 47 tackles and had a team-best 10 pass breakups. The 10 breakups ranked him 2nd in the league. He had one interception and fumble recovery for the Cardinals.
Dillon Dixon - Sr - DB - Detroit, Mich.
- Dixon was the second-leading tackler on the Cardinal defense, racking-up 73 stops from the safety position. He had an interception, 2.5 TFL and a trio of pass breakups. His 272 career tackles rank him 16th on the all-time list.
All-GLIAC Honorable Mention
Ryan Conklin - Jr - QB - Jackson, Mich.
- Conklin ranked 1st in the GLIAC in completions (168) and attempts (303). He was 3rd with 15 passing TD and 2,134 yards through the air. He had over 2,000 yards passing for the second straight season and ranks 5th in SVSU history with his 5,332 yards nad 39 TD. Conklin was named the GLIAC Offensive Player of the Week once during the 2018 season.
Austin Egler - Jr - LB - Clarkston, Mich.
- Egler ranked 3rd on the squad with his 63 stops from the linebacker position. He picked-off two passes as well and had a pass breakup. Egler surpassed the 100-tackle mark for his career and now has 104 in his three seasons playing for the Cardinals.
Patrik Moriarty - Jr - DT - Lansing, Mich.
- Moriarty registered 38 tackles from his defensive tackle spot for the Cardinals. He had 2.5 sacks and added 7.5 TFL this season. He had a fumble recovery as well.
Joe Newman - Jr - CB - South Lyon, Mich.
- Newman ranked 3rd in the GLIAC with his three interceptions and nine pass breakups. He added 30 tackles from the cornerback position with an interception returned for a score as well.
David Still - Jr - DE - Glassboro, N.J.
- Still had a breakout season in his first year playing defensive end. The converted wide receiver was 4th on the team with 60 tackles, adding five sacks and 15 TFL. He added a pair of blocked field goals and a blocked punt as well. Still was named the GLIAC Special Teams Player of the Week twice during the 2018 season. He ranked 5th in the league in sacks and third in TFL.
Justin Whitted - Jr - LB - Farmington Hills, Mich.
- Whitted totaled 38 tackles with 3 TFL and an interception for the Cardinals during the 2018 campaign. He registered season-highs of eight tackles in back-to-back weeks against Wayne State and Michigan Tech.
@svsu_football | @svsuathletics | #svsufb | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---