NORTH CANTON, Ohio -- The Saginaw Valley Football team moved to 2-0 on the season after traveling to play Walsh University, defeating the Cavaliers 41-10 on Saturday (Sep. 8) at the Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium.
The Cardinals had a balanced scoring attack throughout and held Walsh to only 174 yards of total offense in claiming the 31-point victory.
SV got out to a quick 14-0 lead, scoring on the opening drive after Jermaih Johnson scampered in from 11 yards out and Nate McCrary scored from three yards out off a forced fumble on the ensuing kickoff. That fumble was forced by Josh Schelke and scooped-up by Dominick Fiscelli. Both PAT attempts were good from Connor Luksic, who was perfect (5-5) on his point after tries once again. Luksic capped the scoring for the first quarter with a 40-yard field goal, making the score 17-0 after 15 minutes of action.
The Cavs trimmed the deficit to 17-3 after a 23-yard field goal and then used a 51-yard interception return for a score to make the count 17-10. That would be the final time they would score on the afternoon.
Joe Newman returned the favor for SVSU, taking a pick-six 56 yards to the house to extend the lead out to 24-10. The half would end on a two-yard touchdown run from McCrary with 44 seconds left after the Cardinals used a couple of timeouts to leave time remaining on the clock. That made the score 31-10 entering the half.
On the second play of the third quarter, Michael Alexander forced a ball loose and Donnell Alexander picked it up and gave the Cardinals the ball in Walsh's territory on the 26 yardline. The very next play saw Ryan Conklin hit Chad Gailliard in the left side of the endzone for the 38-10 edge.
Saginaw Valley's final score that put the game at 41-10 was with only 1:43 remaining when Luksic drilled a 32-yard field goal.
Inside the Boxscore
- SV had a balanced offensive attack, rushing for 180 yards and throwing for 177 on the rainy afternoon.
- Johnson had a team-high 61 yards with 17 carries on the ground and scored his first touchdown of the 2018 campaign.
- McCrary had 52 yards on 12 tries, finding the endzone twice and giving him three on the year.
- Gailliard had a game-high six catches and 87 yards receiving, adding a TD.
- Conklin was 12-20 through the air for 153 yards, including a touchdown and interception.
- David Still posted seven tackles with a half sack while Raine Potts had six tackles, all consecutive, from the safety position.
- Sloan Klaski and Patrik Moriarty each had five stops, with Moriarty adding a half sack.
- Aaron Berry and Newman each had an interception.
- Michael Alexander had a forced fumble and Donnell Alexander had a fumble recovery. Schelke forced a fumble as well and Fiscelli recovered that.
- Newman was named the Meijer Player of the Game after his 56-yard interception return for a score. He added another tackle on the defensive end as well.
SVSU returns home to Wickes Stadium, hosting Truman State on Saturday (Sep. 15) in the final non-conference game of the 2018 season. Kickoff will be 1:00 pm against the Bulldogs.
@svsu_football | #svsufb | @svsuathletics | #GoCards
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---