UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - Playing at home for the first of two consecutive weeks and looking to bounce-back from a tough road loss last week at Wayne State, the Saginaw Valley State University football team got the job done on Saturday (Oct. 29) afternoon. The Cardinals played solid and disciplined in going for 44 points in a 44-13 rout of the Lake Erie Storm at Wickes Memorial Stadium.
SVSU grabbed a quick 21-0 lead in the first quarter and would out-score Lake Erie 23-13 the rest of the way to secure the league victory.
Saginaw Valley then forced another turnover and fumble that was recovered by Dixon again, but the Cardinald would give it back to Lake Erie with an interception on the third play.
After the SV defense stalled a Storm drive, Ryan Conklin hit Damaris Woods in stride for a 55-yard touchdown, marking Woods's first TD catch of his career. That made the score 14-0 after the Kenrick PAT.
The home team would take advantage of another Lake Erie turnover for the third score. The Cardinals's Jack McKillop hopped on a loose ball on a fumble by the Storm's John Banyasz, setting up SVSU at the LEC 40 yardline.
The Storm scored at the 12:43 point of the second quarter, as Banyasz hit a wide open Mitchell Tilley down the middle to cut the deficit to 21-7, which is where it would remain heading into the half.
Scott Jr. would add a pair of second half scores, including a long 46-yard run for his first two career touchdowns. The Cardinal defense would add a safety, blocked field goal and David Nay would add a score for Saginaw Valley. They would close-out for the 44-13 victory after the Storm added a touchdown in the fourth quarter.
Inside the Boxscore
- The 44 points is the most since the 2013 season, when the Cardinals posted 44 or more points six times.
- The Cardinals held a 253-114 edge in rushing yards, with 151 of those coming from Scott Jr. on 13 carries. He had his first two career scores while earning Meijer "Player of the Game" honors, averaging 11.6 yards per tote.
- David Nay added 70 yards on the ground on 13 carries for SV with a score.
- Woods's 55 yard TD catch was his first in an SVSU uniform and his only catch of the game.
- Alfonso Vultaggio added 55 yards as well, on his two catches.
- The Cardinals only had five receptions in the contest.
- Alex Kenrick was a perfect 6-of-6 on extra point attempts in the game.
- Bryan Jones recorded a game-best 11 tackles with 2.5 tackles for loss (1 sack).
- Matt McKoy added six stops and an incredible interception that stalled a Storm scoring drive in the first half.
- Dixon had the two fumble recoveries and two tackles, adding the return for a touchdown.
- Joe Newman had five stops with a pair of pass breakups.
- Jack Jennings blocked a field goal for the Cards and had two tackles.
- The Storm had 15 penalties for 170 yards in the game.
Postgame Press Conference
Saginaw Valley returns home for the final game in front of the fans at Wickes Stadium, as the Cards host Grand Valley State on Saturday (Nov. 5). The annual Battle of the Valleys contest will feature a 3:00 p.m. kick-off for the second consecutive week. The Lakers are ranked no. 2 in the nation and defeated SV by a score of 24-17 last season in Allendale.
@svsu_football | #svsufball