MIDLAND, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team continued a weekend series with rival Northwood University with a doubleheader on Saturday in Midland, Mich.
The Cardinals fell to the Timberwolves 11-2 in game one, before SVSU scored 10-unanswered runs to push Northwood to extra innings, where the Cardinals earned a 12-8 win in game two. The split moved SVSU to 20-26 overall and 9-14 in the GLIAC.
Game One Breakdown:
- Northwood took an early advantage with three runs in the first.
- SVSU scored its lone two runs of the game in the third. Reed Raymond doubled home a run before Colin Cornwell drove Raymond home with a single later in the inning.
- The Timberwolves extended their lead with three in the fourth and five in the sixth to pull away.
- Kendall Anthes (3-5) took the loss after getting the start, tossing five innings, allowing seven runs on 10 hits, walking four, and striking out five.
- Raymond led the offense with two hits, one run, and one RBI.
Game Two Breakdown:
- The game remained scoreless until SVSU broke through with an RBI single from Martin Money in the fourth.
- Northwood responded with two runs in the bottom of the inning before Raymond doubled home a run to tie the game in the fifth
- Northwood went in front with two in the fifth and added three runs in the sixth on a home run.
- SVSU began its comeback in the seventh with RBIs from Cornwell and Raymond.
- Todd Paperd added an RBI in the eighth to cut the deficit to one before RBIs from Andrew Schweiger and Jeffrey Reseigh in the ninth sent the game to extra innings tied at 7-7.
- SVSU scored five in the 10th to take control starting with RBIs from Money, Schweiger, and Reseigh, before a Northwood error added two Cardinal runs to push the lead to 12-7.
- Northwood scored one in the bottom of the 10th, but SVSU held on for the win.
- Raymond (2-1) earned the win in relief, pitching two innings, and allowing one run on three hits.
- Schweiger finished with four hits, two runs, and two RBIs to lead the SVSU offense.
The Cardinals and Timberwolves close the series at noon on Sunday in Midland.