QUINCY, Ill. - The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team continued their road series with Quincy University on Saturday with a doubleheader. The Hawks took game one 4-1, before the Cardinals took the second game 16-10.
Hayden Jatczak hit for the cycle for SVSU, as their record moves to 19-23 overall.
Game One Breakdown:
- The Hawks opened the scoring with three runs in the bottom of the first inning.
- In the top of the second, Austin Schweiger sent a ball over the left field wall for his fifth home run of the season and making the score 3-1.
- Quincy scored what proved to be the final run of the game in the bottom of the second inning, as they took the win in seven innings.
- On the mound Hayden Jatczak (0-4) pitched five innings and struck out five before being relieved by Steven Hecht for one inning.
- Besides Schweiger's home run, the Cardinals only had three other hits, coming from Colin Cornwell, Todd Paperd, and Tucker Roe.
Game Two Breakdown:
- Jatczak got the scoring started for SVSU with a three-run home run to center field in the top of the first inning.
- The Cardinals added a run in the second thanks to a Jeffrey Reseigh RBI double, before Quincy got on the board in the bottom half of the inning.
- In the fourth inning, Jatczak hit a bases clearing RBI triple that scored Cornwell, Reed Raymond, and Andrew Burke and made the score 7-1, before Paperd singled home Jatczak and made it 8-1.
- The Hawks made it 8-4 after four innings, but didn't get any closer as SVSU cruised to the 16-10 victory.
- Jatczak completed the cycle with a double in the top of the seventh, and RBI single in the top of the eighth inning.
- Jatczak and Paperd had four hits each, while Reed Raymond and Austin Schweiger had three hits each.
- The seven RBIs by Jatczak led SVSU in that category.
- Kendall Anthes (3-4) earned the win on the mound after throwing five innings and striking out four batters.
The Cardinals and Hawks conclude their series with a single game at 1 pm EST Sunday afternoon from the Quincy University Baseball Field.