UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team fell to Grand Valley State University in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference doubleheader from the SVSU Baseball Complex on Saturday afternoon.
The Lakers held off the Cardinals in the first game 5-1, before winning game two 9-3. SVSU's record is now 18-20 overall and 8-11 in GLIAC play.
Game One Breakdown:
- The Lakers got on the board right away with a run in the first inning.
- It remained 1-0 until the top of the sixth when GVSU scored two runs to take a 3-0 lead.
- In the bottom half of the sixth, SVSU got on the scoreboard when Austin Schweiger singled home Hayden Jatczak and made it 3-1.
- GVSU extended their lead to 5-1 in the top of the seventh and retired SVSU in order in the bottom of the seventh to take the victory.
- On the mound, Jatczak (0-3) got the start and pitched 5.1 innings and struck out four. Chase Gruno and Thomas Shipley pitched in relief for the Cardinals.
- At the plate, Martin Money led SVSU with two hits.
Game Two Breakdown:
- GVSU jumped on SVSU early with five runs in the top of the first inning.
- The Cardinals' only three runs of the game came in the bottom of the second inning.
- Schweiger hit a two-run triple that scored both Money and Todd Paperd, before coming home thanks to a sacrifice fly by Jeffrey Reseigh.
- The Lakers scored two in the third, one in the fourth, and one more run in the top of the ninth en route to the win.
- Christopher Schmees (3-4) took the loss on the mound after pitching 2.2 innings and striking out four. Kendall Anthes pitched 6.1 innings of relief and recorded five strikeouts.
- Money led SVSU again with two hits.
SVSU and GVSU conclude their GLIAC series at 1:05 pm Sunday from the SVSU Baseball Complex.