UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team rolled to a 22-9 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference victory over the University of Wisconsin-Parkside on Friday afternoon from the SVSU Baseball Complex.
The Cardinals blew the game wide open in the bottom of the third inning, scoring eight runs. The win moves SVSU to 13-9 overall and 5-0 in the GLIAC.
- Parkside scored the first run in the game in the top of the first, before SVSU responded with runs in the bottom of the first and bottom of the second inning to take a 2-1 lead.
- After the Rangers tied the game at 2-2 in the top of the third, the Cardinals took the lead for good in the bottom half of the inning with eight runs.
- A two-run single by Todd Paperd brought home Hayden Jatczak and Connor McClennen got the Cardinals going in the bottom of the third.
- Martin Money came home following an error by Parkside and made the score 5-2.
- Andrew Burke made it 7-2 SVSU in the bottom of the third after he singled and the Rangers outfielder mishandled the ball, allowing Paperd and Austin Schweiger to score.
- SVSU posted two more runs, before an RBI double by Jatczak capped off the inning and made it 10-2 after three innings.
- In the bottom of the fourth, SVSU added to their lead with a sacrifice fly by Ethan Dufresne allowed Tucker Roe to score.
- The Cardinals added four more runs in the bottom of the fifth, before the Rangers added two runs of their own in the top of the sixth, making the score 15-4.
- The bottom of the sixth saw SVSU add seven more runs, highlighted by an RBI triple by Jatczak and making the score 22-4.
- Parkside added one run in the top of the seventh, and four in the eighth, but didn't get any closer and SVSU walked away with the victory.
- On the mound Kendall Anthes (2-2) picked up the win, going 6.0 innings, allowing seven hits, four runs, and recording 10 strikeouts.
- Jatczak was 4-of-5 at the plate, including two doubles and a triple. Andrew Burke was 5-of-6 batting with five RBIs to lead the Cardinals.
The Cardinals and Rangers will play a doubleheader beginning at 12:35 pm Saturday afternoon from the SVSU Baseball Complex.