UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team defeated Calvin University 10-5 in its home opener Thursday afternoon at the SVSU Baseball Complex.
The Cardinals record moves to 7-7 overall.
- SVSU took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first when Todd Paperd singled and brought home Hayden Jatczak.
- The Cardinals extended their lead with four runs in the bottom of the second. Reed Raymond brought home Maven Gordon with a sacrifice fly, Connor McClennen singled home Jaccar Watkins, McClennen later scored on a double by Martin Money, and Paperd drove home Jatczak with an RBI single.
- Calvin got a run back in the top of the third inning.
- Raymond made it 6-1 Cardinals in the bottom of the third when he singled home Gordon.
- The Knights scored one run in the top of fourth and made it a one-run game in the top of the fifth with a three-run home run.
- SVSU made the score 8-5 in the bottom of the fifth when Raymond singled home Jaccar Watkins and Maven Gordon.
- Watkins added two more runs to the scoreboard with an RBI triple that brought home Paperd and Tucker Roe.
- Kendall Anthes got the start on the mound and went 4.2 innings, allowing four runs, eight hits, and striking out three. He was relieved by Tyler McLaren (2-0) who earned the win, going 3.0 innings, allowing one run, two hits, and striking out one. Hunter Merillat came in and pitched the final 1.1 innings, earning the save and recording four strikeouts.
SVSU travel to face Lawrence Tech at 3 pm Friday afternoon at Jimmy Johns Field in Utica, Mich.