FINDLAY, Ohio -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team picked up a 13-9 road victory over the University of Findlay on Tuesday.
The host Oilers tried to put together a ninth-inning rally, but a double play by the Cardinals (6-7) ended Findlay's hopes of making a comeback.
- SVSU got the scoring started right away with two runs in the top of the first. Martin Money singled to score Connor McClennen, and an RBI single by Todd Paperd brought home Hayden Jatczak.
- In the top of the second, Reed Raymond hit an inside-the-park home run to center field and made it 3-0 Cardinals.
- Findlay got a run back in the bottom of the second inning.
- The Cardinals responded with four runs in the top of the third. Paperd brought home Jatczak with an RBI double, Tucker Roe hit a two-run single that scored Paperd and Money, and a sacrifice bunt by Andrew Burke allowed Roe to score and grow the lead to 7-1 SVSU.
- The Oilers scored two runs in the bottom of the third and one in the bottom of the fourth to make it 7-4.
- SVSU posted five runs in the top of the sixth.
- Paperd singled home Jatczak and McClennen and recorded his fourth RBI of the day.
- Austin Schweiger hit an RBI triple to left-center field and scored Paperd.
- Schweiger later scored after a double by Jaccar Watkins, and Watkins came home after a single by Burke, making it 12-4 SVSU after the top of the sixth inning.
- A Tucker Roe single in the top of the seventh drove home Hayden Jatczak and made it 13-5.
- The Oilers scored three in the bottom of the seventh, and one in the bottom of the ninth, but were unable to complete the comeback.
- JJ Arbini got the start for SVSU, going 3.1 innings and posting six strikeouts. Steven Hecht (1-0) pitched 2.2 innings in relief and earned the win, striking out five. Hunter Merillat pitched the final two innings for the Cardinals.
SVSU will host Calvin University in the home opener at 3:05 pm Thursday at the SVSU Baseball Complex.