AUBURNDALE, Fla. -- After a day off, the Saginaw Valley State University baseball team defeated the Lewis University Flyers 6-5 on Tuesday afternoon in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
The game was delayed by weather for over an hour in the sixth inning, but play was able to resume and the Cardinals (4-5) held on for the win.
- Lewis got on the board with two runs in the top of the first inning, before SVSU responded with two runs of their own in the bottom of the first. Reed Raymond doubled home Colin Cornwell and a sacrifice fly by Todd Paperd scored Raymond.
- The Flyers took a 4-2 lead in the top of the third and then added another run in the top of the fourth.
- Trailing 5-2, the Cardinals scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Andrew Burke reached on a fielder's choice and brought home Tucker Roe. An error by Lewis allowed Maven Gordon to score, before an RBI single by Raymond tied the game at 5-5.
- Later in the inning, Hayden Jatczak hit a go-ahead RBI double that brought home Cornwell, and put SVSU in front.
- Lewis did all they could to tie the game and had two runners on base with two outs in the top of the ninth. Hunter Merillat put an end to the Flyers' hopes, however, as he came in and got the final out for the Cardinals with a game-ending strikeout.
- Getting the start on the mound for SVSU was JJ Arbini. He went 3.1 innings, allowed five runs, seven hits, and struck out two. He was relieved by Chase Gruno (1-1) who pitched 1.2 innings of scoreless relief and recorded two strikeouts, earning the win. Reed Raymond followed Gruno on the mound with 3.2 scoreless innings of relief and two strikeouts, while Merrillat picked up the save.
SVSU will face former GLIAC foe Ashland University at 1:30 pm Thursday afternoon in Florida.