AUBURNDALE, Fla. - The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team opened up the RussMatt Invitational with a 15-4 victory over the Tiffin University Dragons in the first game of SVSU's spring break trip in Florida.
After the Dragons scored two runs in the top of the first, the Cardinals (2-4) responded by taking the lead in the bottom half of the inning and never relinquishing it.
- Tiffin opened the scoring with two runs in the top of the first, before SVSU responded in the bottom of the first with six runs of their own. Reed Raymond scored on a fielding error, Martin Money brought home Todd Pepard with an RBI single, Jaccar Watkins was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and Andrew Burke drew a bases loaded walk. The Cardinals capped off the first inning with a two-run single by Raymond that scored Watkins and Logan Welch.
- The Dragons came back in the top of the third with two runs of their own.
- In the bottom of the sixth, SVSU posted four runs with a two-run double by Pepard and a two-run home run by Austin Schweiger.
- SVSU ended the game in the seventh inning after scoring five more runs. Pepard hit his second RBI double of the game and brought home Tucker Roe, and Martin Money sealed the win with a two-run home run.
- Kendall Anthes earned the win on the mound for the Cardinals, going seven innings, allowing four runs, seven hits, and striking out three batters.
SVSU will face Concordia-St. Paul in the second game of the RussMatt Invitational at 4 pm Saturday in Auburndale, Fla.