ST. LOUIS — The SVSU Baseball team opened up the spring break trip with a 5-4 victory over the Maryville Saints in game one of the four game series. The Cardinals had eight hits, including three players notching two hits each.
In the series opener against the Saints, the Cardinals had an impressive third inning in which they notched three runs. Derrek Clyde's bunt plated two on a throwing error by the Saint's pitcher. A sacrifice fly by Collin Winters scored Clyde from third to make the score 3-0.
SVSU added a fourth run in the top of the fifth, but Maryville decided to respond. The Saints added three runs on SVSU before a switch on the mound, putting freshman Caleb Somerville in to pitch for the Cardinals with the bases loaded and a solo out. Shutting the Saints down, Saginaw Valley held onto the 4-3 lead.
Jordan Swiss had an RBI single to put the Cardinals up 5-3 in the seventh inning.
Maryville held on in the eighth inning, putting up another run to cut SVSU lead to one, 5-4. This would be the final run of the evening, leading Saginaw Valley to a 5-4 win over the Saints to go up 1-0 in the series.
Inside the Boxscore
- Clyde had two hits and two runs scored.
- Swiss went 2-5 in the opening series with two RBI.
- Winters was 2-3 with an RBI, a sac fly and a run scored.
- Fitzgibbon had two hits.
- Green had one hit and a run scored.
- Alex Millhisler got his first win, pitching 4.1 innings and striking-out four batters.
- Caleb Somerville pitched 3.1 innings, with two strikeouts.
- Brian Feinauer tossed 0.2 innings.
- Grant Jebbia earned the save in his 0.2 innings pitched.
Saturday, March 3, the teams will play the regularly scheduled doubleheader, consisting of two, seven-inning matchups. First pitch is slated for 1 p.m. for game two of the series. Stay tuned to the SVSU Baseball schedule for the live stats links.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---